Friday, January 30, 2009

Mandana Pattern

Ok, here is my first ever pattern, yay me!!
This pattern came about because my dad said if he had a headband with a hole in it, he could wear his favorite golf hat to the dome, where he goes to hit balls, in the winter, in Michigan. So I made him one, and then a few more to match all his ballcaps, then I made them for hubby and mom too.
If this pattern is like another it is purely coincidental.
If you find an error, please let me know and I will correct it.
Other than that, make a bunch and have fun!!
Mandana
Materials:
About an ounce of any yarn
G or H hook
Finished size:
roughly 8 1/2" across lying flat
Abbreviations:
ch =chain
sc = single crochet
BLO = Back Loop Only
FO = Finish Off Yarn
st = stitch
sl st = slip stitch
Directions:
Ch 17
Row 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each chain across, ch 1 turn (16 sc)
Row 2 - 22: In BLO, sc in each sc, ch 1 turn.
Do Not FO
Split Rows
Row 1: in BLO, sc in next 10, ch 1, turn
Row 2 - 12: In BLO, sc in next 10, ch 1 turn. FO after row 12
Attach yarn in BLO of next stitch on row 22, ch 1 and sc in same stitch and in the next 5 to end of row, ch 1 turn.
Continue in BLO for 11 more rows for a total of 12 rows, ch 1 turn.
Next row: sc in BLO, ch 1 turn for 22 rows.
Finishing:
Sc, sl st or sew ends together.
Fits over ballcaps with split for the bill to cover ears on cold days!!
Double thickness
Made by Suzi


Please feel free to link to this pattern, and/or print it out for your own personal use, but do not copy it in any way to put on-line, pass out, or re-write without my permission. Any resemblance to any other pattern like this is purely coincidental.
This pattern was written
Jan 30, 2009
Thank you, Sally

15 comments:

Sherry said...

that is awesome

Sally said...

Thanks Sherry, glad you like it.

naida said...

great pattern! I like that name 'mandana' :)
http://yarnchick.blogspot.com/

Sally said...

Thank you Naida.....hubby was calling them that so I figured it worked.....lol!!

June said...

What a really clever idea!! My son always wears a ball cap, and I'm going to make him one of these today! Thanks!

Renee' said...

Oh cool.

Renee' said...

I am going to try this, Thats EXACTLY What Jacob and I need for those cold mornings when we are down in the deer Stand :)

Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

One thing I found is the guys I know 'curve' their bills on their golf hats - so this doesn't work so well for them for that use - HOWEVER - our family only rides bikes all year round - and we have some very cold winters (upper midwest) - and when I put this on my face over my glasses (where the baseball cap bill would go through) my son said - hey that would be a great face mask if it were longer and closed at the top - so - I am going to try crocheting in a tighter single crochet around one end down a ways so it goes to the neck bone - then up from the top and then put a 'chain stitch' tie through the loops at the top to pull it tight like a hat - yet can be opened up and used like a cowl if need be. Just one thought on a GREAT idea - my son has asked for one already (though he wants his to be just closed at the top - just wants to have the pull on face mask that goes down to his neck - though maybe I'll try to put in a small slit for a mouth on his - and just start with a wider chain to make it all one direction - and go from there!) I'll post again if it works out!

Cheryl said...

I LOVE LOVE this pattern! Hubby needed something to keep his hat on and ears warm and boy did this fit the "bill" lol! Thank You so much for sharing this!

Aphganmaker said...

My Friends husband had surgery on his ear and his ear gets cold so this may be just what he needs. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

My brother curves the bill of his hat into a full half-circle. I tried one on one of his hats and it worked out fine, although I think the glasses did help keep it out of the eyes. If you are making this for someone who does curve the bills, just do 4 sc on the bottom band (at the edge, so there is room for the bill) instead of the 8 sc and it should work fine.

It appears that my last post didn't make it. Darn computer. What I said is that this is a brilliant idea and I am glad you shared it with us.

I made one of these for my father and he absolutely loves it. I have made one for my FIL as well, but he won't get it until Christmas.

brit4shains said...

Hi... Love this concept and so, Thanks to your Dad for the "thought"!

I have only been crocheting about 2 weeks and have done pretty well with being comfortable with some of the stitches, sc being one of them, but am still having problems "seeing" the patterns in my head (not sure if that is making sense).

I do much better when I have a pic or drawing showing the stages of the project so I can compare as I go. I'm confused about the Split Rows.

Do you have anything like this to post with the instructions or maybe do a video like I see on AllFreeCrochet.com??(which is where I learned about your project)

Thanks again for the idea... I'm going to try to stumble thru making one.

Edinburgh Flats said...

I am surely going to try it.

MidlifeNurse said...

I just made this for my ol' man. I crochet tighter than normal, so using a worsted and H hook I added rows to the total circumference, and for the split rows I added about 8 rows. I just measured it to a hat and kept going till it fit over the brim. I think he'll like it- and I'm making one for my brother too :)

jeana1346 said...

thank you for posting this pattern because my husband lost his whole box of winter hats and i was looking for pattern like this so i may going to crochet it for him, I will tell you how it turns out. P.s. the picture on you blog of the lady loosing her underwear. that really happened to my grandmother years ago in a payless drugstore parking lot.She just reached down quickly and put them in her pocket. lol